2.9
Layout of Store

An Outrageous Act Of Discrimination By The Sprouts Grocery Store 10 December 2017. It seemed like a typical Sunday..

The wife and I were getting ourselves ready to go grocery shopping at the local Sprouts grocery store. The only difference was, we were going in the early afternoon, rather than during the more cold evening air. I am a stage four COPD patient, and therefore, very vulnerable to weather conditions and also to other peoples bacterium's. So, when I go out in public, especially during the flu season, I wear a light blue colored surgical mask, and latex gloves.

My wife and I did our shopping, as normal at Sprouts, store 503. That is, until we came upon a cashier named Erin, POS 001. Right from the beginning, I knew we were going to be treated differently than everybody else. I use Sprouts "wine bags" that I had previously purchased to put my glass and other fragile purchases in for protection.

The cashier took exception to this. When Erin was asked to just take each item out of the wine bag, scan it, and then put it back in place, she became quite belligerent. She said, "I don't know how to do that." My wife and I looked at each other in disbelief. We then watched as Erin took our wine bags (3), and turned them upside down, shaking the bag, until all the products, which included glass, fell out and hit the counter.

Erin then pushed our goods away from her register and towards the back of the packing area. My wife was expected to bag our groceries. While I paid our bill at the register, my wife continued to bag our groceries. But, it wasn't fast enough for Erin.

She began attending to the next customer in line. Now, what was blatantly clear was when Erin's arrogance quickly disappeared with her next customer. Questions that should be asked? Were my wife and I properly dressed and groomed?

Yes. Were my wife and I polite towards the cashier? Yes. Did my wife or I ask the cashier to do anything outside of store policy and or customer service?

No. Did my wife or I give the cashier a reason to be scared or intimidated of us? No, we did not. That is, unless wearing medical protective gear in public is some kind of a threat towards store employees.

Here again, this is a prime example of COPD patients being discriminated against.

I guess my money is no good at Sprouts as long as I wear a protective mask and gloves. While I have filed a complaint against Sprouts and the specific employee for discrimination, what's really sad is, that a mere protective set of mask and gloves being worn during the height of flu season is seen as some kind of a threat.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sprouts Farmers Market Cashier.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Dec 12, 2017.

Comments

What did any of this have to do with the fact you were wearing a mask and gloves?

Don't complain here! Go to mangment or Corp

I don’t see what she did wrong and see how this is discrimination.